March 14, 2012

DIY Nail Polish Rack

Yay for DIY and something to hold my nail polishes!!!

I have a love/hate relationship with DIY projects because I'm a perfectionist when it comes to making stuff but I don't have the patience for making things perfect so there's my dilemma. However, I am pretty happy with my very own DIY nail polish rack. =) 


The project wasn't super cheap as I thought it would be but it is still cheaper than buying a nail polish rack (if you can find one).  I think the most expensive part was the Duck brand duct tape (that is leopard print!!!). And buying more and more glue sticks for the hot glue gun. =P (Maybe I'm just super cheap...)

Continue for more detailed pictures and some tips!

The video that made this possible:
DIY: Nail Polish Wall Rack

The materials I used:
- 3 black foam boards that are 20x30" in size
- leopard print duct tape (1 roll is more than enough)
- hot glue gun and LOTS of glue sticks
- ruler
- white pencil crayon
- exacto knife

So the thing is, it looks great from afar, but once you come up close, you will see the hot mess that is the glue. I wish there were black glue sticks... Whatever, I've gotten over it. But seriously, I loaded TONS of glue on this thing because in the back of my mind is still the question of how is thing supporting all my nail polishes?

Tip #1: Use a LARGE hot glue gun instead of a dinky small one (that I used). You will be able to work faster and you need to work fast otherwise, the glue will start drying when you're assembling the rack.


I attached it (or I mean my boyfriend did) with black screws so they would be "invisible" (at least from afar). I used 12 screws. Might seem a bit crazy, but I wanted to be sure that this thing isn't going to fall off the wall because the screws were strong enough - I already have to worry about the glue so I don't want to add to that.


See how beautiful this side of the rack is! It is the clean edge that came with the foam board.


See how not beautiful this side is? I made this edge with an exacto knife. Cutting it wasn't as easy as I thought it would be.

Tip #2: When cutting the strips for the sides, pay attention to keep the clean edges so they can face forward on your nail polish rack. =) Unless that is, you don't mind a little sloppy work.


I guess that's all... I've had it up since mid-January and it's still going strong - let's just hope it stays that way.

Thanks for reading!!! If you have any questions, feel free to leave a comment! =)


1 comment:

  1. You look like a nail polish addict like me. Have you heard of Julep Maven? Basically it's a monthly subscription program for nail polishes plus a little something extra. Regular price is $19.99, but you can try your first box for $0.01! For us canadian girls, tax and shipping are included so you really just pay ONE PENNY!

    If you're interested, I would love it if you check it out and purchase through my referral link: http://julep.com/?r=19023025

    Do the style quiz and upon checkout. Use the code: PENNY, or COLORS4ONE

    ReplyDelete